We know that there are four tests of the IELTS exam. Reading test scores are one of them. In this article, we are going to discuss how you get a good score on a reading test. If you read this article properly you will get lots of information about increasing your IELTS reading score. Also, you will know about some tips and tricks before the last moments of the reading test which is significant for your preparation.
Table of Contents
Many people think that it is difficult to get a good IELTS reading score .This seems to be something very wrong; not so overall, the average score of examinees in the Reading module is lower than in other modules. The same can be observed even in the case of people whose mother tongue is English.
The question structure of the module is the reason why the reading module seems difficult, but the non-reading habit of the examinees is a bigger reason. As a result, the population of non-native speakers who have a reading habit compared to those whose mother tongue is English; score well in the reading module.
Many students do well in other sections of IELTS but do not do well in the Reading section which is why they do not achieve the desired results. If you want to improve your IELTS Reading score you first need to know where you are lacking and target your efforts accordingly.
If you are doing badly only in the reading step and others are doing well then you can’t join the university or employment of your choice. If you want to get an over-good band score, you should also increase your IELTS reading score.
Understanding the IELTS Reading Test
Before discussing what kind of questions are asked in the Ielts academic reading test, it is better to say something about the format of the IELTS academic reading test.
Format of IELTS Academic Reading Test:
- There are three reading passages in total. Each passage consists of at least 13 questions consisting of 3-4 or 4-5 types of questions.
- Thus a total of 40 questions have to be answered from three passages. No special knowledge is required to understand the passages.
- The content of the passage is selected in such a way that it is comprehensible to all classes of people. Usually: These are collected from a news article in a newspaper or journal.
- A total of 60 minutes is allotted for each passage of 20 minutes. Out of this, you have to answer a total of 40 questions from three passages. You have to be very good at time management to answer these 40 questions on time.
IELTS Reading Score System:
Reading has 2 parts. The IELTS test is usually taken by people to enter academic fields such as universities.
However, many appear for this exam also for migration. Academic reading score bands will be assessed separately for those applying for admission to the academic field. The reading band score of those who give for migration will be done under general training in this case.
IELTS Reading Scores (AC)
|Correct Answers||Band Scores|
IELTS Reading Scores (GT)
|Correct Answers||Band Scores|
Key Strategies for Improving Your IELTS Reading Score
1. Effective Time Management
- Time management is very important for improving IELTS reading scores. Set a specific time for yourself to practice reading only, then it is easier to increase your reading score marks.
- To increase the pace of reading, it is necessary to have the habit of reading a large number of different types of books which will play a special role in increasing the reading score.
2. Enhancing Reading Skills
If you enhance/improve IELTS reading score-
- you have to take care about skimming and scanning abilities.
- Develop your reading strategies
- Also, you have to focus on your keyword.
3. Vocabulary Building
A strong vocabulary can boost your score. If you expand your vocabulary skills you have to follow some tricks.
- When you know a new word as soon as you have try to know that meaning
- You can play words games with your buddies
- Try to practice new word in your daily conversation or texts that you know
4. Practice with Sample Tests
If you have a target to increase your IELTS reading score you also have to practice
IELTS reading sample tests. That is beneficial for you.
We discuss the study materials Cambridge IELTS Reading practice in our previous article which have a great role in sample test practice.
See the previous article: How to Start IELTS Preparation in Bangladesh for Beginners
5. Skim and Scan Techniques
To get a great IELTS academic reading score you should know about the difference between how you skim and scan from passages of context.
If you are unable to do it you can’t get a good score in the reading part.
Some strategies for skim and scan-
- Try to remember important information such as dates, names, and significant words.
- Try to read the first sentence of each paragraph
- Try to read the headings and subheadings of each context
- Try to read the summary of whole texts
To improve your IELTS reading score you should buy some materials or learn about websites from the internet-
- Cambridge IELTS reading Books
- BBC news
- National Geographic
- The Independent
- World History Encyclopedia
- Live science
- New scientist
Mock Tests and Self-Assessment
- Mock tests are very important for increasing IELTS academic reading scores. It has a great role in self-assessment. In that case, we know about our position and how we prepare for the reading test. Some benefits of mock tests-
- You can gain strength and reduce your weakness while you attend the mock test.
- You experienced the IELTS reading test.
- Boosting your confidence and ideas
- Provide instant feedback
Overcoming Common Reading Challenges
Sometimes candidates are facing common difficulties in reading sections that decrease their IELTS reading score.
- Lack of fluency
- Poor reading skills
- Lack of reading speed
- Pronunciation problems
Last-Minute Tips and Test-Day Strategies
To improve your IELTS reading score you should take last-minute preparation.
- Remember your test dates and carry your entry card.
- Try to stay hydrated and eat healthy foods
- Taking rest and sleep properly
- Don’t carry any type of electronic stuff
- Reached early before starting the test
- Try to wear a comfortable outfit
- Concentrate your test
The best method is that you have to practice a lot of reading materials that you like most. If you can’t practice a lot you will not get a good reading score. I requested you apply the methods and strategies that we described so far.
If you use these methods that we have described so far, you can improve your IELTS reading score and reach your desired goal. IELTS academic reading score is very important to get your dream job even you can get an immigration job if you get a good band score on the reading test.
What is the minimum IELTS reading score required for academic purposes?
The minimum IELTS reading score required for academic purposes can vary depending on the institution or program you’re applying to. However, a common requirement is often an IELTS band score of 6.5 or 7 for most universities and academic courses. It’s essential to check the specific requirements of the institution you are interested in.
How can I improve my IELTS reading score if I’m struggling with time management?
To improve your IELTS reading score when struggling with time management, consider practicing with timed mock tests. Learn to allocate a specific amount of time to each passage and question set. Additionally, focus on skimming and scanning techniques to quickly locate key information. Consistent practice and time-awareness will help you manage the test more efficiently.
Are there any recommended online resources for IELTS reading practice?
Yes, there are several reputable online resources for IELTS reading practice. Websites like IELTS Liz, British Council, and Cambridge IELTS offer free sample tests and practice materials. You can also find official IELTS preparation books and eBooks available for purchase. It’s essential to use a variety of resources to simulate the test environment and improve your reading skills.